CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Synonyms and Antonyms

Because of inspiration from all of these wonderful teacher blogs I have been stalking, I wanted to do something a little differently to review synonyms and antonyms with my kids today.
synonym and antonym twins
 I used some cutout stars that I had gotten from the dollar store and put different words on them.  I placed them around the classroom in plain view.
words on the bookshelf
word on a desk

 I had a list of synonyms and antonyms that went with those words, and I would say a word and ask for either its synonym or antonym and the kids would race around the room to see who could tag the correct word first.  I used some different words that I hoped would make them think, and that could be used with both synonyms and antonyms. I used words such as chilly, big, tiny, stroll, right, mad, ajar, start, damp, on, clear, chuckle, quick, and throw on the stars around the classroom and then came up with a synonym and antonym word list to match with them.  I think I will add some more words for tomorrow to keep them on their toes.  They really seemed to enjoy it and really had to think a  few times!  Love that!!  I also plan to use the twins tomorrow...each student will have all four at their desks and when I call out two words they have to choose which two to hold up the syn. or the ant. twins.  I don't know how to do all of those great worksheets and things yet, but I feel my creative juices flowing!  Thanks, teacher bloggers!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment