CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, January 22, 2012

For Love of Teaching...

Four years ago, last Thursday was a day that changed my life.  It was a Saturday, January 19, a day I was supposed to go to see my favorite college team, the UCONN Huskies play!  It ended up being a day I spent in the hospital.  I spent it with my dad whose struggles with leukemia and diabetes were getting the best of him.  My mom and I were by his side, and we were blessed to also have my best friend.  Her mother, who was a good friend of our family, was there also.  My mom and dad's pastor was also there with us.  That day my dad did lose his battle with cancer and diabetes.  It was the saddest day of my life.  Things changed so much for mom and me without him.  Dad, or pappy, as I called him, died on Saturday night.  Sunday mom and I stayed home together.  Monday was Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, so I was home with her again.  But on Tuesday, guess where I was?  I was in my favorite place, the place I really felt I needed to be....the classroom.  My mom's sister had come to be with us, so I knew mom would be OK.  I needed to be with my kids, and I wanted them to know that I was OK.  That year I had 22 kids, and they were wonderful!  They were so caring and sweet and so concerned, and I'm so glad that I was able to be with them that day...to share with them, to laugh and cry with them, to let them see me, and see how special they were to me.  My love of teaching and being with my kids compelled me to get back in that classroom even though my dad had just passed.  Teaching means so much to me, it is my place of reprieve and joy.  It is what I have wanted to do since I was in 4th grade, mainly because I loved my 4th grade teacher so much!  It has filled me with joy for the past 16 years and I am so thankful to be able to be a part of such a wonderful occupation.  So thankful to be doing what I love!  Also, so thankful to find so many wonderful teachers and wonderful blogs to follow and learn from!  I continue to miss my daily, but as I think back on that time, that love of teaching and my wonderful kids, helped me through that tough time!  So thankful!

4 comments:

YearntoLearn

What wonderful memories you hold in honor of your dad.


Yearn to Learn Blog

Stacey

Yes, some very special memories of a wonderful man! Along with special memories of a wonderful class of third graders, now 7th graders, who still hold such a special place in my heart.

Unknown

I am sorry for your loss, I lost my dad Jan. 10 2004, to cancer, and it has changed my life, it's one of the reasons I decided to go back to school and become a teacher, because life is short and you never want to live with regrets! I am so glad I found your blog! Can't wait to read future posts!
Amy

Stacey

Thank you so much, Amy!! I am so sorry for your loss, it is definitely a difficult thing! Thankful for so many wonderful years with him, but I do miss him so much! Isn't teaching wonderful?!? Thank you so much for stopping by! It is so nice to have new followers! Thanks for your comment, too! I will be stopping by to check out your blog! I am loving these teacher blogs, so many wonderful ideas! Thanks!

Post a Comment